Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Alfonso Soriano's Ridiculous Explanation of Why He Doesn't Want to Come to San Francisco




With the 50 game suspension to Melky Cabrera, the Giants are presumably in active search for an outfielder to replace him.

Alfonso Soriano is the right fit as of now, having cleared waivers with the Cubs. He is having a pretty decent year, hitting .264 with 21 home runs and 71 RBI. Granted, those aren't Melky-type numbers, but he would be a savior for a power-deprived offense.

The only problem? He doesn't want to come here, and would use his rights as a ten-and-five player to veto a trade to San Francisco, but I have a hard time believing his explanation:

"I don't think so," he said when asked whether the Giants would be a good fit for him. "San Francisco is not good weather to play in. It's on the West Coast and I've never played on the West Coast. We'll see what happens if they call. I'll talk to my family then and see. It's not my call. I know it's 50 percent of my call, but it's my family's (call) too. I'd talk to my family and see what happens."

Wait what? "San Francisco is not good weather to play in". 

Oh, so you mean that this would not qualify as "good weather"? 

And it's not like the weather in Chicago is that good either, given its name "The Windy City". Wrigley Field has had its fair share of rain delay's, such as this one.  

When's the last time there was a rain delay at AT&T Park? And for that matter, when's the last time there was rain in the Bay Area?

I understand that Soriano has never played on the West Coast before and that his family would impact his decision, but seriously, weather cannot be a deciding factor in this situation,

Maybe Brian Sabean will have to show up on Soriano's doorstep in a Moneyball-esque style to convince him to come to San Francisco.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by dani.ananda61 | sport-icon.blogspot.com | ,